I will be adding links to this article very soon, in order to make it easier for readers to find these fine podcasts.
Edit: Brawling Bros is no longer on my list of downloads or listens, their inability to grasp that they honestly should not be using “Engrish” as a tool for their brand of “humor”. Not to mention the other characters that border on racist caricatures. This sucks as I honestly thought Brandon & Josh were going to make changes in their show, after all, they claim to care about each and every listener.
It seems about every other day there is a question on Facebook, Board Game Geek, Twitter or Reddit from a new board gaming podcast listener wanting to know what podcasts they should be listening to and every time there are 100 answers. But, of those 100 answers there are only about 5-10 different shows recommended. Rightfully so some might say, some shows certainly do deserve to get a lot of the attention, but for every The Dice Tower, The Secret Cabal, Rolling Dice and Taking Names, The Dukes of Dice, Shut Up & Sit Down or Heavy Cardboard, there are many more trying to get your attention, just trying to get you to give them a shot, because what they say, may resonate with you.
So, with that in mind, here are some that I listen to, I currently have 78 “gaming” podcast that I subscribe to and that I listen to. I may not listen to these shows all the way through, I may pick and choose what I listen to on their shows, but I do subscribe and I listen for one reason or another. Just to note, the ones I listed above, I subscribe to and listen to as well, I’m not saying don’t listen to them, I’m saying if you have the time and the inclination, give these fine podcasts a chance as well, who knows, something they say or how they say something may strike a chord with you.
- Boards Alive–Boards Alive is a podcast where we talk about tabletop games. Our goal is to show that tabletop gaming can be just as exciting and engaging as Hollywood movies or big budget video games. We try to highlight games that have a rich theme that connects with the mechanics of the game. We want to help people escape into tabletop games and enjoy the competition and camaraderie of gaming.
- The Spiel–The Spiel is a show covering the world of board and card games since 2006.
- Flip the Table–a podcast about The Other Side of Board Games. Most board game shows focus on the latest-and-greatest, or time-tested classics. We have taken it upon ourselves to comb our local charity shops and salvage stores for the other stuff…we’re talking licensed cash-grabs, kids games that kids are too smart for, gimmicky games with strange (and only occasionally functional) gadgets, and all the other games that tend to gather dust in the back of closets with the rest of the third-string Nintendo 64 cartridges.
- Phantom Cast(Hiatus)–A podcast of the tabletop design gaps.
- Theology of Games–We’re here to give you reviews and news on the board gaming industry from a ministry point of view. Board games are getting huge out there; it’s not just Monopoly anymore. Sometimes the games contain subject matter that may be questionable or elements of culture that may not be “kosher” for all. We aren’t here to draw lines for anyone, but we’d like to clear up some of the gray areas and let you know through our reviews where some of the questionable content may lie in these games. If there’s nothing to say, so much the better! Plus we want you to know if the game is fun!
- Perfect Information–A podcast where the information, like the hosts, is perfect in every way. Contains adults using adult language. For some reason.
- Punching Cardboard–a sometimes monthly, sometimes more often podcast emanating from a dungeon somewhere in the hipster wasteland of Portland, OR. We mostly cover mid to heavy weight Euros with some omnivorous consumption of American style and war games to keep things interesting! Beware, we have opinions and aren’t afraid to use them.
- Draft Mechanic–We talk about craft beer, hobby board games, and the crossover between these two great hobbies. We produce an hour long, bi-weekly podcast that releases every other Monday morning. Each episode we discuss recently played games, do a game and beer pairing, and talk about hot topics in craft beer.
- The Good, The Board and The Ugly–Hi! I’m Joe Sallen, and I love playing games. I love talking about games as much if not more than playing them. I tossed out the idea of a podcast at my game group, and I was lucky enough to sucker in Trent Hamm and Jonathan Pierce to start one up with me. We are The Good, The Board, and The Ugly. We hail from central Iowa, and we fortunately get the chance to play together once a week on average. On top of that, each of us has other groups that we meet with throughout the week. This way, we can offer opinions on many games we have played together as well as discuss games that only one or two of us have played.
- Breaking Into Board Games–Breaking into Board Games is a podcast about breaking into the hobby game industry. Every week, we interview a person of note, and give tips and tricks to make your way into the business of games.
- Cardboard Architects–TGIK Games is a board game design studio and publisher. We makes games for the hobby gamer, casual gamer and educational games.
- Game Designers of North Carolina–Game Designers, in North Carolina, talking about the board game industry from a designer standpoint.
- Vox Republica–Founded in 2012 and based out of Lowell, MA, The Cardboard Republic aims to be a credible site for gaming-related news, reviews, articles, and more. With decades of collective experience, our team hopes to bring our own voice to the world of non-video games. This includes all manner of card games, board games, and conventional pen & paper tabletops.
- Blue Peg, Pink Peg–Blue Peg, Pink Peg is the Boardgaming podcast for families and couples.
- The Cardboard Jungle–A podcast all about board games and board game culture.
- The Cubist(Hiatus)–Bill has been an active part of the tabletop gaming community for the majority of his life, having started gaming at the ripe old age of six (he’s well into his forties now). He’s worked at all the major game conventions as an exhibitor, organizer, volunteer, staff member, and event judge at various points in time. He also is a regular contributor to The Dice Tower with his “Con Cred” segments, and he’s the moderator of Dice Tower: Showdown. In his normal non-gaming life he’s a mobile disc jockey and karaoke host, an active member of local community theaters, a semi professional voice, stage and film actor, and a proud patron of the arts… and he takes a damn fine picture, too.
- Botch Games–A podcast of board gamers talking about board games. News, plays, reviews, hype. Join us to hear all about our take on the Board Gaming world.
- Your Turn Go
- Punching Cardboard
- Devon Dice Presents
- Punched and Played
- The Tattered Board
- Board Games to Go(Hiatus)
- How to Play Podcast(Permanent Vacation)
- Docking Bay 94
- Gaming Rules!
- Meeple Nation
- Garrett’s Games and Geekiness
- The D6 Generation(My Oldest Subbed Podcast, easily)
- Gaming Nonsense Uncensored
- Not Just Another Gaming Podcast
- Play Better Podcast
- Podcast of Nonsensical Gamers
- The Broken Meeple
- On Board Games
- 20 Minutes of Filler
- Board Gamers Anonymous
- Start Space Podcast
- Gaming Nonsense
- Ding & Dent
- The State of Games
- The Geek All Stars
- The Long View
- Low Player Count
- Spaghetti and Meeples
- What Did You Play This Week Podcast Thing(that’s me, and this is a shameless plug)
- Whose Turn Is It Anyway?(Hiatus)
- Power to the Meeple(Hiatus/Permenant?)
- The Fellowship Gamer(Retired)
- Beyond the Wall(AGOT LCG Specific)
- The White Book(AGOT LCG Specific)
And we haven’t even hit on the RPG podcasts.
- Gosh Darn Fiasco
- Going in Blind-Going in Blind is a podcast in which a group of Vision Impaired players sit down at a table, roll a few dice and together tell a story.
- Gaming and BS RPG Podcast
- Houses and Humans/Board with Life Radio
- Out of Character
- The Adventure Zone
There is content for just about everyone out there, from the 15-20 minute pods to the 3-4 hour opus podcasts. Give ’em a try and find the ones you like. Most importantly if you do like something, let the creator know, reach out to them!
I will try to keep this post updated, if something new shows up on my subscription list, I’ll put it on here, if something changes in the Podcast, ie the creators quit producing content or take an extended vacation, I’ll make a note of that as well.
Let me know if there are any I have missed that I need to try out, I love podcasts and I am lucky enough to work in an environment that allows me to listen regularly, a lot.
Also, just because, these are my non-gaming podcasts.
- Welcome To Nightvale
- Alice Isn’t Dead
- The CUSP
- The Space Inside
- Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History
- In Our Time